WEEK 10: EMAIL MARKETING


This is how I want to feel when I get a newsletter in my email...calm, peaceful, enlightened.  I think the culture of newsletters has gotten so caught up with the intention of capturing people's emails rather than just sending out some good vibes and helpful information and I think that it makes it harder to ask people if they want to sign up for your newsletter now.  More emails to clutter your inbox doesn't sound appealing.  Most of us just do it to get a coupon or a quick discount on a product, but honestly, nine times out of ten, I don't care about getting a newsletter from the majority of businesses I deal with.  So, the problem I feel is, how do you convince people that your newsletter is worth signing up for.  Most people know that the "newsletter" tactic is to capture emails and leads, but wouldn't it be nice if we could actually make people feel like we, as businesses, would contribute to their lives, rather than make them feel like we just want to sell them some stuff down the line.  


 
A meaningful newsletter could be so impactful if done right.  The trick is not coming across like the rest of the newsletter noise does.  Don't sell, contribute.  Give people valuable information, helpful tips, fun insights, or resources that might help them now or down the road.   It doesn't always have to be related to your business.  It could just be the "Happy Birthday" email along with a coupon if they feel like treating themselves to one of your products or offer a free cupcake to celebrate as a gift.  I think the point of newsletters is to always be giving...not necessarily free products, but something that is beneficial.  Maybe a link to an article about how to stay safe during fire season and then some recipes that don't require baking to keep the temperatures in your home down.  Something thoughtful.


 
For the business I am representing, Jem'D Sweets, I would write tips on how to bake a fun birthday cake, or create a birthday baking party with cake pops and send a list of what they needed, some images, and some fun ideas to display it so that it looks cool; let the kids have fun and the moms have a little less clean up afterward.  I would write newsletters or emails no more than once a month.  And depending on the month, include fun drink recipes correlating with whatever holiday was going on for that time of year.  I would have a list of local activities to do with your family and interesting places to visit, like bakeries that you could see into the kitchen as they bake.  I think you're emails and newsletters should constantly be trying to connect with your audience as a person, a friend, a neighbor, someone they can come to with questions, and get a little inspiration from.  Connection.  It's all about genuine connection.





 

Comments

  1. I think your idea for birthday emails is such a great idea because it gives a sense of care for your customers. I would suggest to have monthly emails even if your customers don't necessarily look at It all the time because there will be some loyal customers that do look at it. Plus, it shows effort and care when you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also agree that saying Happy Birthday personalizes your emails. Especially if you have some type of promotion to go with it.

      Delete
    2. I love your comment about contributing to your customers instead of selling. Although selling something is part of marketing, it is important to show your customers that they are your #1 priority. Your birthday suggestion is a great way to give your customers that sense of care! It also creates a more personal connection with them. I think your ideas for your newsletter are excellent! They're all about sharing something with your customers. Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Hello Karino,
    Let me start by saying I really like the photos you have added to your blog, it makes me want to read it a lot more. I enjoyed reading on your take of how a newsletter should contribute and not just add to the full mess of all the other messages in ones inbox. Your idea for a birthday message seems amazing and really personable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts