Week 3 Part A: Aesthetic, Design, and Branding

 Jamilin-http://www.jamilin.com

I chose this website first because I found it to be pretty atrocious.  I couldn't figure out what kind of business this was from the first few times I viewed it.  It's so busy and there's no continuity in it whatsoever.  The colors are bland and your eye can't land on anything as you look at it.  It's just so much!  The ironic thing is that it appears to be a metaphysical type of business, but the website left me feeling anything but relaxed or in touch.  I had to force myself to stay on this website. It is literally the antithesis of all things that a metaphysical business should convey.  The color palette is bland.  There are tons and tons of things to click on and way too much information.  Some of the links take you to other people's websites and I just couldn't help thinking that instead of feeling calm and curious looking at this website, which is what I think of when I see information about Chakras and Feng Shui, I felt like I had too much coffee on an empty stomach.  It doesn't look professional at all.  It looks like it was something that they put together, without any thought to the design of it, and then just kept adding to it, and adding their friends to it too, to promote their business maybe.  This is one of those websites that as a designer (which I'm not) would suggest that they start from scratch and use some soothing photos, pick an earthy palette of color, not just 3 variations of beige, but maybe think of colors that would remind you of being in a spa or in Thailand and definitely minimize the all the information.  Let it be more of an interactive experience, rather than feeling like you're being accosted by a 100 flyers about all the services this "business" can offer you.  I couldn't wait to get off of this site.  It looks like this website could benefit from a little dose of their own "feng shui".  

California Center For The Arts, Escondido-http://artcenter.org

Okay, I know that this shouldn't be on the "not that great of a website" list because it's an Art Center, but that's exactly why it's on my "not that great of a website list".  It's an Art Center! They should have knocked this website out to the park!  I think it's a professional-looking enough website, but I think the photos and graphics used should be eye-catching and beautiful.  The layout should be fantastic!  It's an Art Center.  You need to draw people in, not bore them to death.  Art Centers constantly need donations to keep running, but their website doesn't inspire donations, it inspires a nap!  They should hire someone spectacular to take over this website and draw in the consumers!  They should have access to some of the top designers and artists!  I had to double-check it a few times to make sure I was on the right website.  It's easy enough to navigate, but it's busy and super uninteresting as you scroll down.  I didn't even want to click on any of the events they had listed on their site as I was browsing around.  I just didn't care.  I was uninspired.  Nothing catches your attention.  It's boring and art is not boring. They somehow made it so.  It's not as bad as Jamilin, but as an Art Center, I expect something visually stunning.  Art...it's their business.  

Apple-http://apple.com

Of course, Apple makes the top of the list of amazing websites.  They have mastered the art of minimalization, soothing color palettes, ease of use, and sales.  I love their websites and I hate them.  I love them because they are so easy to navigate and they are also a pleasure to navigate.  I love the graphics they use, the colors they use, the limited amount of words they use to sell me their products, and those things lure me in every time into their sales pitch.  Suddenly, you're considering a $2000 plus computer, where before you were on a serious budget.  Now they got you hooked on a lure, and draw you in with comforting words and beautiful graphics just a click away from asking for help from a live agent who can help you decide which product is best for your needs.  The whole experience is artistic, subtle, elegant, and like a shark...they've got you before you know it.  Even if you don't buy their product, those products stick with you visually, and eventually, you'll go back into the water.  They make it very easy for me to give them a lot of money for one of their products.  It's like they've already got my credit card in their pocket.  This website is not only professional but should be the template for any business website.  (They should partner up with The Arts Center Of Escondido.)

Penny Juice-http://pennyjuice.com

So, I chose this website even though it landed on a page that showed them as an example of "bad websites" (which popped up when I typed the business name again).  I wanted to use it to show where I think they did well.  There aren't a lot of things, but it would certainly take less time, in my opinion, to fix this website than it would the Jamilin website.  This color palette is wrong and it looks unprofessional, however, it is simple to navigate.  It's not too busy.  It scrolls down nicely to the information that you need.  There's not too much information.  The ability to place orders and get a transaction all seem easy enough to navigate and use.  They have a few nice photos, some just clash with their background color and that's why I think it could use a professional touch.  I would change the hideous blue background color that they use, change their brand/logo (the Penny Juice uses an actual penny in their branding...I guess that's their brand), and their statement that buying this juice makes "cents", is so literal and terrible all at the same time.  I would change those things right off the bat.  But, the overall layout isn't bad.

  

Comments

  1. Good post. Their is actually a site called websitesfromhell.net and Jamelin is featured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part 2 B-
    I read all of my group's post and posted on them as well.; Greg B, PCordova, Emily George, Casey's and Andrew's blogs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts